The Sphere-O-Bot is a simple 2 axis drawing machine that can draw on most spherical surfaces. You can use it to decorate balls or eggs. This design also features the regular JJrobots electronics (the same we have used in all our robots). So you can create this robot or any other just simply printing new 3D printed parts and uploading the custom code.
The original idea belongs to Evil Mad Scientist
The frame was designed by Attila Nagy
The Sphere-O-bot is adjustable, and is designed to draw on all kinds of things that are normally “impossible” to print on. Not just eggs but ping pong balls, christmas ornaments, light bulbs, and (yes) eggs (duck, goose, hens…).
The Sphere-O-bot frame was designed by Attila Nagy and slightly modified by JJrobots. The pen and egg motors are high-torque precision stepping motors, and the pen lift mechanism is a quiet and reliable servo (SG90) motor.
The kit is easy to assemble in an hour or so, and only requires a couple of basic tools like miniature Phillips-head and flathead screwdrivers. You’ll also need a reasonably modern computer with an available USB port (Mac, Windows or Linux), plus internet access to download assembly instructions and necessary software (Inkscape)
The Sphere-O-bot kit comes complete with a fully assembled and tested Brain-Shield + Arduino with its USB interface.No soldering or programming are required.
The onboard 16× microstepping driver chips along with the 200 step/revolution stepper motors give a combined resolution of 3200 steps/revolution in both axes. A universal-input plug-in power supply is included with the EggBot kit, as is a USB cable and one Sharpie marker.
The Sphere-O-bot is normally controlled through a set of open-source extensions to Inkscape, the excellent and free vector graphics program. You can create your own drawings (Above: Wines + stars design below) or use one from the existing repository.
Basic operation is much like that of a printer: you import or make a drawing in Inkscape, and use the extensions to plot your drawing onto whatever object you’ve mounted in the Sphere-O-bot . It’s all handled through an easy to use graphical user interface, and works cleanly on Mac, Windows and Linux.
The pen holder included with the Sphere-O-bot kit is designed to fit various art pens including Sharpie Ultra Fine Point pens. It can actually fit almost any pen of similar size.
You can even fit a lot of things that aren’t pens.
The Sphere-O-bot is an open source hardware+software project. Originally from Evil Mad Scientist (very cool robots), we have adapted the idea to our electronics and ancillary elements. Software, designs and use is exactly the same. . Extensive documentation about the original EggBot kit is available here.
The Sphere-o-bot robot shares almost all of its parts and 100% of its electronics with the B-robot EVO, the fastest -remotely controlled- Self Balancing robot, the iBoardbot or any other JJrobot . Create your own B-robot after assembling the Sphere-O-bot!
Installing software and the Eggbot extension
POSTS RELATED TO THE SPHERE-O-BOT:
|Dimensions||15 x 16 x 16 cm|
You may also like…
B-Robot EVO KIT (Plug and Play Robot version)
JJrobots´s B-ROBOT Kit. Created to simplify the set up and integration of all the different devices involved in this project.
This COMPLETE VERSION includes all the electronic and hardware components required to create the B-Robot. You just need to assemble everything (following easy steps) (optional 3D parts)
What you get when you buy this KIT:
- jjRobots Brain Shield (already programmed)
- Arduino Leonardo (CLONE) + USB cable
- 2x High Quality NEMA17 stepper motors
- 2x Stepper motor driver
- IMU (gyro+accelerometers)
- Optional: 3D printed parts (vibrant colours)
- Powerful servo: Metal gears (you will need an arm to fight and raise your B-robot…)
- Battery holder with ON/OFF Switch (batteries not included)
- Bolts+nuts+cables (custom) needed to set everything up
- Double side tape…
- NEW: (Android devices) control your B-robot using the JJrobots FREE APP!
CUSTOMISE YOUR ROBOT:
Remotely controlled torch
This is a remotely controlled torch pointer (can be changed for a Laser pointer). Can be moved from your smartphone using the JJrobots FREE app available in Google Play or using OSCtouch (or equivalent OSC software).
NEW: control your robot using the FREE JJrobots google APP (android devices)!
- maximum range: up to 50-60 meters.
- It is portable if you use a small 7-9volts battery (Lipo/Alkaline/…) Drive your neighbour´s cat crazy from a distance by placing the robot on the roof! >:-)
This KIT includes:
- jjRobots Electronic Brain Shield 3.0
- Arduino Leonardo (compatible) + USB cable
- Battery connector (make it portable!)
- 2x Servos
- 3D parts + CASE + bolts
- Torch (batteries included)
iBoardbot. The internet controlled whiteboard robot
The iBoardbot is a robot connected to the internet capable of writing texts and drawing with great precision. Also, it can erase in a quick and effective way. Send to your iBoardbot your information from any part of the world. As it has a multi-user interface you can also play and challenge your kids, use it as a collaborative notice board or as a twitter wall in your shop window.
*The above WebApp link does not belong to any real iBoarbot. Play with it as much as you want
- Drawing mode: It can precisely draw what you assign to it. Different users will be able to collaborate with the drawing at the same time from different devices and world places. No matter how far the drawer is; the drawing precision will be as if the drawer himself was holding the pen with his hands
- Graphics mode: Upload and draw your own graphics using the iBoardbot´s webAPP!
- Text mode: Send any text. The iBoardbot will adjust it to the right size so it can fit on the board and it will draw it using its own font. Just type it and click/tap on SEND
- IFTTT integrated: Why not send the subject of an email you just have received to the iBoardbot? Or use the iBoardbot as a Twitter wall? Or write the last SMS you have got? Or display the temperature of your home? the weather forecast maybe? The last tweet from your favourite music band? or… there are as many possibilities as possible recipes. Create your own recipe!
The iBoardbot KIT
The kit is easy to assemble in an hour or so, and only requires a couple of basic tools like screwdrivers plus internet access to control the iBoardbot
The KIT includes:
All you need to create your own IBoardbot. Just follow the assembly instructions in order to set it up (the glass of your choice can be added to the KIT as an option.See below). With this KIT you won´t have problems getting the right cables, power supply, belts, bushings, bolts…It is just assembling
- GT2 timing belt (two segments of 53+100 cms)
- pulley gt2 20 tooth
- 608 bearing
- 623 bearing
- Stainless steel round bar (8mmØ,450mm length)
- 2x round anodised aluminium tube (6mmØ, 205 mm length)
- 4x 30 cms servo cable extender
- 2x 1.8deg HIGH QUALITY NEMA 17 Stepper motors (40mm length) (4.4Kg/cm torque)
- Motor cables (14+70 cms length do the job)
- 2x SG90 servo
- Arduino Leonardo compatible
- jjRobots Brain Shield
- 2x A4988 Stepper motor drivers
- Power supply 12v/2A
- 2x copper bushing (8x11×22)
- 6mm M3 bolts
- 16mm M3 bolts
- M3 nuts
- 1x M3 self locking nuts
- 3mm wide/100mm long zip ties (~x10)
- 5mmØ cable wrap (~90 cms)
- 1x Staedtler MARKER (black)
- iBOARDBOT CLOUD SERVICE INCLUDED