Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Newbie question, python and js

6678a7a2c3f39e5af2f46b3cc4353459?s=80&d=mm&r=g
(@ggerard)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

Using this arm as my vehicle to enter into the robotics world, I don’t yet understand how is it working in software terms. Maybe some of these questions look dumb, sorry in advance:

– The sketch uploaded to the Devia, I imagine is based on Firmata, so that it awaits for python commands launched from the Control App?

– Is it possible to use something like MicroPython ( https://micropython.org/) to make the robot follow a preestablish routine stand-alone?

– Is it possible to use Johnny-Five ( http://johnny-five.io/) to control the arm? And as with MicroPython, can it be used with something like low.js (www.neonious-iot.com/lowjs/)?

These are conceptual questions. I plan to start diving into Johnny-Five since I’m comfortable with js, but I don’t know how it matches (if it matches) with this armbot.

In any case, the arm looks gorgeous, awesome work 🍺 

350a26dd49eb55d3494500240423a207?s=80&d=mm&r=g
(@robotn1)
Member Admin

Hi! 

Comments:

– the firmware uploaded to the Pybot waits for commands coming from the Python written control APP but you can send the command from any external app. For example, the Python script attached will move the Pybot to certain points. 

Where, for example:

myRobot.moveAllAxis(20,30,50,400,1000,t=1)

will move all the axis at the same time to: 20º (arm), 30º (forearm) ,50 (50mm up) and the servos 1 to 400 and servo 2 to 1000, all of that within a second (1)

# Axis 1&2 in degrees units (first two values)
# Axis 3 in mm units (Z axis)
# Axis 4&5 in “servo” units (from 0 to 1000)

– Of course. Use the attached code as reference

– We will need to take a look to Johnny Five 🤔 But the control APP can create a Log file (.json extension) with a previously created path way with waypoints. 

ReplyQuote
(@ggerard)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

@robotn1 I can see that JS development is somehow not that active (surprisingly inactive I’d say), while python seems to have a lot more of recent development in robotics in general (perhaps I have a wrong impression).

My conceptual question would be this (and sorry for the beginner doubts): if I want to exchange / attach a rotating gripper (or anything else), what should I modify? The python code? Or the sketch code? I’m saying this knowing that I’m far from understanding your code, but I’d like to know if this is something somehow feasible, or it is way too advanced and I would be better starting something very simple from scratch.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@robotn1)
Member Admin

@ggerard Well. You are right. Python and microPython are coming very very popular not only with robotics but everywhere. It is a well deserved popularity.

Regarding your question: 

In the current point, the Arduino code (firmware) has been made to control 2 servos where the gripper is. And sending “servo” understandable” signals to those two servos. You can modify the Arduino code so you can adapt it to control any other actuator. Do you have something in mind?

ReplyQuote
(@ggerard)
Member Customer
Topic starter  

What I have in mind is to learn robotics as a whole, without anything specific in particular.

My first idea was to have a rotating device (like a holder that can rotate indifinitively) for a particular application (that a second thought makes me think it won’t be that useful).

So actually what I would love is jjrobots to sell a book (or a course) that documents and explains the c++ code and the python code of something like the pointing device you are developing. Is that in your todo list (or will it be)?

ReplyQuote
(@robotn1)
Member Admin

Hi Gerard,

Not currently. We are about to release the new Laser pointer robot and publishing a book…well. That will require a lot of work! 😀

gerard liked
ReplyQuote
Share: