Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] project UPDATES

Page 3 / 3

7bfd12abfa54b0d8f6c39bbc62a45c89?s=80&d=mm&r=g
(@cjlocey)
Member Customer

I would like to attach my JTech photonics laser to the SCARA and use it for laser engraving. Any chance your hardware/software will support using this in this fashion?

What is the power requirements of that laser?

The laser is 3 watts but externally powered. It is typically controlled by a PWM signal to control the power.

Has any more work been done on controlling this robot with an arduino or your standard board?

ReplyQuote
350a26dd49eb55d3494500240423a207?s=80&d=mm&r=g
(@robotn1)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I would like to attach my JTech photonics laser to the SCARA and use it for laser engraving. Any chance your hardware/software will support using this in this fashion?

The laser is 3 watts but externally powered. It is typically controlled by a PWM signal to control the power.

Has any more work been done on controlling this robot with an arduino or your standard board?

Hi,
Actually…yes. We can (finally) say that the control has been finished. Check this video testing the repeatability of the SCARA. Our board is modified Arduino M0 board with stepper motor drivers outputs (x3) and many other features (4x servo ports, MPU, SPI, Voltage regulated port, Wifi module…etc)

Repeatability test: https://www.jjrobots.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Robotic-ARM-repeatability-Test.mp4

ReplyQuote
(@robotn1)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Latest updates at:
https://www.jjrobots.com/robotic-arm-scara-project-updates/

With links at the very end of the page

ReplyQuote
6771341bf7fb447b0384fa452ecd3d0f?s=80&d=mm&r=g
(@takiz73)
Member Customer

After i set up my scara arm only real time works.
When i set trajectory it moves for a second and this appears.

I can not upload photo

ERROR ISWORKING bytearray

ReplyQuote
(@robotn1)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi,
Actually…yes. We can (finally) say that the control has been finished. Check this video testing the repeatability of the SCARA. Our board is modified Arduino M0 board with stepper motor drivers outputs (x3) and many other features (4x servo ports, MPU, SPI, Voltage regulated port, Wifi module…etc)

Repeatability test: https://www.jjrobots.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Robotic-ARM-repeatability-Test.mp4

After i set up my scara arm only real time works.
When i set trajectory it moves for a second and this appears.

I can not upload photo

ERROR ISWORKING bytearray

the ISWORKING message is sent from the robot to the control APP to state its condition (in this case, the robot is working). That is a new addition to the Arduino code to increase the robustness during the “movement stage”

How to fix it: Update the DEVIA control board with the latest Arduino code (pyBotArm_v1.zip) . Available here:

NOTE: the API file -PyBotArm.py- (basically, the file in charge of controlling the pyBot Arm) has to be updated too. You will need to place it inside the python´s code folder if you are not using the .exe APP. The files are located inside the folder PYTHON (pyBotArm_v1.zip)

We will update the CODEs page with this info. This will be easier with the Installer we are creating, but in the meantime as we are releasing new codes every other day, we will just upload the files separately

IMPORTANT: delete the config.json and calibration.json files before launching a new control APP version

ReplyQuote
(@robotn1)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Arduino code and Python CODE repository: https://www.jjrobots.com/pybot-control-app-code-arduino-code/

ReplyQuote
e3872c042a44eb500b6f60da49b50dff?s=80&d=mm&r=g
(@cliftontours)
Member Guest

Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here.
https://cliftontours.com/package_type/evening-desert-safari/

ReplyQuote
(@cliftontours)
Member Guest

ReplyQuote
(@cliftontours)
Member Guest

ReplyQuote
53fb5c434c9fb30ad9899d93bf8c1b7c?s=80&d=mm&r=g
(@daniele-facchin)
Member Customer

Hi I was trying to control the robot arm with python 3, and it wasn’t responding.
I had to dig a little bit in the code and I found that the data retrived from the serial port is kept as byte (I think this is a difference between python 2.5 and 3.x), and this was the reason for the error.

this is how I changed the code to make it run, I don’t see any github or like repository where I can push my fix.

Hope this can help others to use the arm in python

# SERIAL SERVER CLASS
class SerialServer():
message = “”
def __init__(self,s):
self.s = s
self.message=””
self.port_ok=True
def run(self):
line = SerialReadLine(self.s)
while self.port_ok:
try:
if (self.s.in_waiting>0):
#HERE I ADDED .decode to turn the byte array to string
aux_message = line.readline().decode(“utf-8”)
# Avoid debug messages and pass only status messages ($$…)
if (aux_message.startswith(“$$”)):
self.message = aux_message
#debug.append(self.message.rstrip())
#if (self.message.startswith(‘-‘)):
# sys.stdout.write(self.message) # DEBUG
else:
time.sleep(0.005)
except:
self.port_ok = False

ReplyQuote
53fb5c434c9fb30ad9899d93bf8c1b7c?s=80&d=mm&r=g
(@daniele-facchin)
Member Customer

Hi I was trying to control the robot arm with python 3, and it wasn’t responding.
I had to dig a little bit in the code and I found that the data retrived from the serial port is kept as byte (I think this is a difference between python 2.5 and 3.x), and this was the reason for the error.

this is how I changed the code to make it run, I don’t see any github or like repository where I can push my fix.

Hope this can help others to use the arm in python

# SERIAL SERVER CLASS
class SerialServer():
    message = ""
    def __init__(self,s):
        self.s = s
        self.message=""
        self.port_ok=True
    def run(self):
        line = SerialReadLine(self.s)
        while self.port_ok:
            try:
                if (self.s.in_waiting>0):
                    #HERE I ADDED .decode to turn the byte array to string
                   aux_message = line.readline().decode("utf-8")
                    # Avoid debug messages and pass only status messages ($$...)
                    if (aux_message.startswith("$$")):
                        self.message = aux_message
                        #debug.append(self.message.rstrip())
                    #if (self.message.startswith('-')):
                    #    sys.stdout.write(self.message) # DEBUG
                else:
                    time.sleep(0.005)
            except:
                self.port_ok = False

ReplyQuote
(@cjlocey)
Member Customer

I have been following this for a long time and I have printed and built the original design. My ultimate goal was to use this as a portable platform for my 3w laser.
So my question is if I were to buy your Devia board would I be able to control this with standard gcode? (similar to a 3d printer)
Additionally I just dug out my Brobot v3.1 board and I would like to know if this would work the same or do I need to by the DEVIA board?

ReplyQuote
(@robotn1)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have been following this for a long time and I have printed and built the original design. My ultimate goal was to use this as a portable platform for my 3w laser.
So my question is if I were to buy your Devia board would I be able to control this with standard gcode? (similar to a 3d printer)
Additionally I just dug out my Brobot v3.1 board and I would like to know if this would work the same or do I need to by the DEVIA board?

You will need the new DEVIA board. The old Brain shield can only control 2 stepper motors and the pyBot needs 3. We are working on a GCODE interpreter right now so you can move the robotic arm following gcode instructions. We expect to release ASAP

ReplyQuote
(@cjlocey)
Member Customer

You will need the new DEVIA board. The old Brain shield can only control 2 stepper motors and the pyBot needs 3. We are working on a GCODE interpreter right now so you can move the robotic arm following gcode instructions. We expect to release ASAP

Where are you with your gcode interpreter? I am ready to order a DEVIA board but I do not want to spend the money until I know I can use it.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: